Wednesday 1 June 2011

Shiny New Blog

This is my first blog. Let it be known that I doubt that I have much of any relevance or interesting to write. But I plan to write it anyway. And I'm not much for grammar or editing. I used to edit, but I used edit the entire piece of work until I was left with  "The". It's best I don't focus too much on the details and just write and post if this blog is going to happen.

Less than a month ago I quit my job at a major airline to stay home with my 3 children. My career has been a major part of my identity for a long time. So this has been a big scary step for me. To be fair, this isn't my first time staying at home. I had 1 year maternity leave with each of my 3 children. My oldest was born in March 2004 and my youngest was born October 2008. In 5 and a half years, I spent 3 years on maternity leave.

I thought I handled things just fine with 2 children and expected it would be fine with 3. But it didn't work out like that. My oldest (Grade 1) started French Immersion at a new school. My middle child started junior kindergarten. So they're both in 2 different schools as there isn't any French Immersion for kindergarten students. Then my youngest had daycare where he had activities and events. Between 3 schools, activities outside of school, my own interests, husbands interests and seeing our family and friends, work obligations, I found I wasn't juggling them all anymore.

I'm well aware how whiny this all sounds. I need to remember that it's a blessing to have the option to stay home with my children. They are lovely. And I have been able to keep my vehicle even if my husband will now be taking the train to work. And I didn't have to keep my daughter in French Immersion. I could have put her in regular public school. There have been many options that were carefully considered for more than a year with my husband.
I suppose what I'm really saying is that it's going to be an adjustment and I'm going to have to get used to being me again and not my job title.

No comments:

Post a Comment